A friend sent a link to this LitHub post by Lan Samantha Chang called “Writers, Protect Your Inner Life.” I suspect it is the writers who are able to do this who best tap into those experiences of surprise, delight, and recognition–that ability to begin a story in one way and then carry the reader to some completely unexpected place. I think of this ability to be somewhat like diving from a high place and carrying a reader along as the writer gracefully hits the surface of water, a startling sensation that leads to a sense of being utterly supported by a sea of language.
- Quakers During the Third Reich November 9, 2023
- Review of How I Learned to Drive November 9, 2023
- An Eloquent Response to My Last Post October 27, 2023
- A Memoir from a Palestinian Human Rights Lawyer October 26, 2023
- Languages I’ve Barely Heard Of October 12, 2023
- Fat Ham in Boston October 4, 2023
- So Much Great Theater! September 28, 2023