A friend sent a link to this LitHub post by Lan Samantha Chang called “Writers, Protect Your Inner Life.” I suspect it is the writers who are able to do this who best tap into those experiences of surprise, delight, and recognition–that ability to begin a story in one way and then carry the reader to some completely unexpected place. I think of this ability to be somewhat like diving from a high place and carrying a reader along as the writer gracefully hits the surface of water, a startling sensation that leads to a sense of being utterly supported by a sea of language.
- What Words Capture the Ways We Interact Now? February 1, 2023
- A Very Annoying Book January 25, 2023
- On Doing the Thing You Don’t Want to Do January 19, 2023
- Preludes at the Lyric Stage Company January 14, 2023
- Service or Revolution? January 12, 2023
- Making Our Votes Count January 5, 2023
- My Review of Life of Pi December 21, 2022