A friend sent a link to this LitHub post by Lan Samantha Chang called “Writers, Protect Your Inner Life.” I suspect it is the writers who are able to do this who best tap into those experiences of surprise, delight, and recognition–that ability to begin a story in one way and then carry the reader to some completely unexpected place. I think of this ability to be somewhat like diving from a high place and carrying a reader along as the writer gracefully hits the surface of water, a startling sensation that leads to a sense of being utterly supported by a sea of language.
- A Little Bit of Casablanca in Cornwall May 31, 2023
- Quaker Names of the 17th and 18th Centuries May 24, 2023
- Can Art Conquer Hate? May 18, 2023
- Pomegranate, a novel by Helen Elaine Lee May 4, 2023
- Let’s Drop the Gendered Greetings April 19, 2023
- A Funny Thing Happened… April 14, 2023
- Sam, a novel of hope by Allegra Goodman April 13, 2023